Steve Jobs famously altered the design of the Apple Headquarters to ensure that the wash rooms and shared spaces were at the centre of the open plan layout, as he wanted to force chance encounters and encourage serendipity.
Not every business needs a high spec office with moveable glass walls or arching windows, but with the average worker spending vast portions of their life in the office or workplace, it pays to have surroundings that look and feel welcoming.
Half of workers within the UK say their workplace slows down their productivity. When you consider how much even a 1% increase in productivity could mean for your bottom line, it’s well worth thinking about what impact your working environment may be having on your staff’s productivity.
- Improved productivity From colour schemes to lighting, a fresh new look and feel can have a great impact on team morale. If you are happy to invest in improving your working environment then it gives a clear indication that you value your staff and your business.
- Additional space As your company grows you may find the need to make extra room for additional members of staff. An office refurbishment may allow you to make the most out of existing work space without the costly expense of finding new premises.
- Health & safety Health and safety is a vital part of any business, regardless of size or sector. As part of a business’ duty of care, it is an employer’s legal obligation to make sure the safety of their employees and those of the public are not at risk and are safe from harm. General wear and tear can have an impact on the quality of a working environment and therefore pose health and safety risks. Revamping your business makes it a safer and more enjoyable place to work in.
- Encourage employee interaction & creativity The layout of your workplace, by facilitating the exchange of ideas and interaction between employees, is crucial for organisational performance. Through improved teamwork and the stimulation of creativity, many businesses will excel through their capacity for continuous innovation.
- Express your brand Traditionally, branding has been focused on logos, websites and advertising. However, branding can help you stand out from your competitors, add value to your offering and engage with your customers. Your physical work environment can be used to convey a particular message or identity, working as a showcase to the outside world.
- Attracting & retaining staff Attracting good quality staff and retaining them is critical for any business. This can simply be done by providing good conditions of employment, with the physical work environment playing an important role. Providing employees with comfortable and attractive surroundings demonstrates they are valued and helps make a good impression on job applicants.
- Reduce environmental impact Office buildings have a large impact on the environment both in their construction and operation. Buildings are the largest consumer of energy and therefore a significant contributor to the emission of greenhouse gas and waste. A good office design can minimise the impact of a building on the environment.
- Create a new boardroom The boardroom is where important ideas are debated, interviews conducted and discussions on business performance take place. This is a space that needs to be both stimulating and relaxing so create a unique space where management teams can plan the future of your business, for long hours, in comfort.
- Downsizing or reorganisation Show your workforce you care about their environment and make more efficient use of office space at the same time; create a fully open-plan office or build extra rooms as your business requires.
We are on hand to offer expert advice
As one of the UK’s leading office furniture specialists, we provide the latest furniture products and a range of office solutions to suit all budgets and design requirements.
Whether your business location requires re-planning to enable agile working, a full refurbishment, a move management solution, or even additional storage, we can help.
We have established relationships with major manufacturers yet remain independent, ensuring you receive objective advice and competitive pricing. We are on hand to oversee your project locally and offer nationwide delivery and installation.